Sunday, August 1, 2010

Banks of Plum Creek

After a very long week at work, Natalie, Carrie, and I headed off for another Minnesota adventure. Now many of you may be thinking things like....are there really adventures in Minnesota? Is there anything that exists in that state? One might surprise you with something unbelievably adventuresome, "The Laura Ingalls Wilder Pageant." This trip was so filled with adventure it is pretty much unbelievable.The adventure really began prior to even hitting Walnut Grove. Prior to arriving to our camping site we had dinner in an old bank. All of the old booths and stalls were up for money exchange. I forgot to get pictures, but it quite a site to see. I was so in love with the bathroom, which was equipped with early 90's decor and a table filled with all the appropriate items for awesome hair (Aqaunet and two picks).

We made it to the campsite about 45 minutes before the oncoming wind. The three of us were not completely prepared. I put stacks around my tent because I had heard there was going to be wind. Carrie and Natalie were not so lucky. I am not sure if that tent still has them, or if they also underestimated the wind. I was in my tent reading when I heard the wind and screaming begin. It was a bit comical, but I was really unsure what disaster was occurring outside my safe quarters.

The winds were at least 60 mph. My tent was blowing and bending down until it was almost touching me. I was not sure if I was going to be able to stay in my tent, so I made sure to have my clothes on and read a book. I could hear a lot of laughing and choas outside...and this is what I told was happening:

Carrie had run into the tent that was blowing away. She told Natalie to stay in the car, but the wind was loud, so the girl immediately ran to the tent to help Carrie save the day. They quickly did all things necessary to keep there sleeping bags dry while suddenly in 4 inches of water. Carrie was managing the inlet for the water with pillows and a thermarest, while Natalie was bravely holding down the opposite side of the tent. I was feeling a little left out of the fun as I remained mostly dry in my quarter. Suddenly, I heard a get away to the car. The tent was disarticulated more quickly then it ever has...and the two of them slept in the car. I on the other hand remained in my tent a little afraid of what would happen next. I eventually fell asleep.
I was awoken at about 2 am from the neighboring campers coming back to find there tent broke and collapsed and pillows and sleeping bags in the water. I stayed in my tent, feeling very lucky. I learned my lightweight backpacking tent is a champion!
The next morning we headed out to the festivities. We all bought pioneer bonnets, to get into the spirit. I think we were the only people over the age of 12 who were sporting the beauties. We at at Nelly's cafe, scouted out the Olseon merchantile, and took pictures of all sort of things...including this lovely.

Carrie was totally excited to death about the pageant! I love it!
The woman who was sitting behind us was really entertained by out photography.
All tired out while watching the pageant, which involves the retelling of the Wilder's life in Walnut Grove.
Natalie looks cute all the time.
Carrie was staying toasty warm, which it was cold. All in all, another Minnesota winner.

1 comment:

Ann said...

This. Is. INCREDIBLE.