Friday, January 21, 2011

Crafts

Recently I have had a lot of time at home, which gives me the opportunity to get bored and need some preoccupation.  In my life many people have called me "crafty" and unfortunately experiences in my life have caused me to associate craftiness with toll painting, macrame plant holders, friendship bracelets, boondoggle and other items that one might just throw away.  I prefer to think of myself as creative, artistic, and persistent.
While I was in Nepal there was a girl who was selling necklaces made by women in Uganda.  I looked at them and thought, I can make those.  I have plenty of magazines around my apartment, why not turn them into jewelry.  Now, as a close friend of mine has pointed that instead of giving to the poor, starving people of the world I am now being selfish.  I did come to realize that the hours that it took to make this necklace did make them worth the $20.00 the Ugandans wanted.  So, above you can see the outcome of my hours of work.
Next up....coasters.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Those look great! I can't wait for the coasters!

Ann said...

SOOOOOOO cool!