Sunday, April 13, 2008

Salisbury Streak


My job leads to a lot of awkward and hilarious situations all tied into one. The weekend in the Emergency Room a girl came in after overdosing on something. She was belligerent and violent. She was making some of the other patients there a little nervous with her obscenities, but me I was quietly observing knowing that my assistance would be needed shortly. She picked me out of the crowd and decided that I needed to be told a few things. After belittling me about my weight she proceeded to tell me that my job was worthless and then I didn't help people no matter what I thought. She said "You think you are so cool with your 9 to 5 job".... (which I was there at 3 a.m., I didn't feel it was necessary to point this out at that moment)..."I bet you just go home and eat your Salisbury steak and watch reality t.v." At that time in the morning I though it was pretty funny. Then I thought, what is Salisbury steak? My coworkers and mother had to help me to come to the realization that it was a ground beef steak of sorts, typically in frozen dinners. I was a little sad when all of the slanders had to cease shortly after she jumped off the stretcher and was headed in my direction with both legs cuffed. The police and security in the hospital assisted us in placed her in 4-point restraints and a "spit hood." Then we knocked her our with a cocktail of tranquilizing medications. If only her mother were there, she would have been proud.


No comments: