As I was reading the blogs I frequent I came across this little ditty:
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/chicago/outdoor/theres-always-one-crazy-house-on-the-block-flickr-find-148784
Now I am not certain that every neighborhood has one of these homes because I have driven through many neighborhoods and have not been able to appreciate a single home with absurd decor. Although, I know that my neighborhood growing up it was the "alligator house". It was always exciting to see what they were going to be up to next. In this article you could tell that this family was not going for the norm. The sad thing about the alligator house was that you got the idea that the family in our neighborhood thought that they were improving the decor and bringing a bit of class to the neigborhood.
It all started on day with a water fountain. This fountain really just looked like someone had driven up with a truck of rocks and plopped them right in front of the house. Then to make it look even more amazing they placed to large alligators on top of the pile. It was such a sight to see. The house was planted on a major road for everyone to enjoy this spectacle.
As the owners of this home had more and more improvement ideas, we were able to relish with amazement in the tackiness of it all. Next came the spray-painted driveway, which was supposed to give you the feeling of bricks....which in my mind was unsuccessful. Then came the lions. Now I can't remember clearly if the alligators disappeared, but I think that Noah's ark may have just arrived unannounced. Next thing I know I was seeing a metal giraffe poking it's head over the fence. As I would frequently walk by on an early morning walk (which I think my mother was with me), we had to see what was going on in the backyard. It was like a zoo. The animals were strategically placed, where someone might think that it would look good, but somehow it just didn't hit the spot.
After years of pure enjoyment I can certainly say that I don't care if this home decreases the property values of its neighbors. It has delighted me for years. Perhaps I should mail them some pink flamingos to help with their motif?
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/chicago/outdoor/theres-always-one-crazy-house-on-the-block-flickr-find-148784
Now I am not certain that every neighborhood has one of these homes because I have driven through many neighborhoods and have not been able to appreciate a single home with absurd decor. Although, I know that my neighborhood growing up it was the "alligator house". It was always exciting to see what they were going to be up to next. In this article you could tell that this family was not going for the norm. The sad thing about the alligator house was that you got the idea that the family in our neighborhood thought that they were improving the decor and bringing a bit of class to the neigborhood.
It all started on day with a water fountain. This fountain really just looked like someone had driven up with a truck of rocks and plopped them right in front of the house. Then to make it look even more amazing they placed to large alligators on top of the pile. It was such a sight to see. The house was planted on a major road for everyone to enjoy this spectacle.
As the owners of this home had more and more improvement ideas, we were able to relish with amazement in the tackiness of it all. Next came the spray-painted driveway, which was supposed to give you the feeling of bricks....which in my mind was unsuccessful. Then came the lions. Now I can't remember clearly if the alligators disappeared, but I think that Noah's ark may have just arrived unannounced. Next thing I know I was seeing a metal giraffe poking it's head over the fence. As I would frequently walk by on an early morning walk (which I think my mother was with me), we had to see what was going on in the backyard. It was like a zoo. The animals were strategically placed, where someone might think that it would look good, but somehow it just didn't hit the spot.
After years of pure enjoyment I can certainly say that I don't care if this home decreases the property values of its neighbors. It has delighted me for years. Perhaps I should mail them some pink flamingos to help with their motif?

No comments:
Post a Comment