This year I decided to try something new and not go home. There was an initial discussion about driving home for Christmas, but I decided that I have seen the people at home every Christmas and that perhaps I should see the family members that I typically don't see during the holidays. So, I packed up the boys (Duke and Harley) and we headed out the door, literally in 30 minutes we were packed and leaving.
The initial plan was that I was going to visit my sister, Ann, and then after Christmas I would head down to visit my brother, Brent. Ann has allergies to dogs and had found someone at her work that loved dogs and said he would be willing to watch the boys. It cost 60 dollars a night to board my dogs here in Minneapolis, so I was willing to drive with them and then spend much less money by having someone watch them there. Well, the time came to leave for Baltimore and the "dog lover" turned out to have rescued a dog and could not take the boys at the desired time. It was going to be several days later than he could take them. So, I called Brent and said, "How would you feel if I showed up at you house tomorrow?" He told me that he would talk with his wife, because we all know that the wife is in charge. Well, the phone call came that said please leave now, so I showered, threw such in a bag, turned down the thermostat, and headed out the door.
The drive to Kingsport, TN was actually quite pleasant. Duke, Harley, and I drove in intermittent stops to walk every two hours and did well until about 9 am. I had stopped the car and the boys attempted to make an exit, which I did not want them to make. I pushed them quickly back in the car, after setting my keys down, reflexively locked the doors, and looked at the keys inside the car on the drivers seat and laughed. I had to call for a locksmith, who promptly arrived in 30 minutes and broke into my car. I have to admit that I am a little afraid of how easy it was to unlock my car, but I was happy that $50 later I could be on my way. We then made it the rest of the way to the TN Passey household in plenty of time.
I was a little worried about how the kids would do with the dogs, but they did amazingly well. Duke and Harley were gentlemen, except at the dinner table. Scott had not quite figured out that if you wanted to prevent the dogs from getting the food you should keep it above the table. He kept attempting to hold it down between his legs on the seat, the perfect level for Harley to snatch it right up at stealth speed. The kids and I had a great night, where they "convinced" me about all of the things that really needed to happen prior to going to bed, like having hot chocolate, while their parents had their anniversary dinner. While I was there made candy trains (which mine included the most realistic train wreck ever), pictures to come. We also went Christmas shopping, attended church, read books, walked dogs, and showed off our ipad skills. I was not there long because I promised Ann I would be there Christmas Eve, but I sure had a good time with the Passey clan.
Christmas Eve afternoon we climbed into the car again for a 6ish hour drive to Baltimore. I think that I made it there my about 8pm. I parked and made an immediate tour of the block with the boys and introduced the terrified neighbors to the concept of two very large dogs. The bad news came on the way to Ann's that the "fake dog loving" sitter could not take the dogs still. So, we made a plan that they would stay in the car until it was time for bed and then they would go to the basement with me. This plan working well until there was a realization that the two boys could easily escape from the basement and refused to be down there without me. I cannot explain the attachment that Duke and Harley have for me. If they know that I am in the building they must me at my side and will take drastic measures to make it happen. We all did well in the basement as soon as I realized that I must stay down there.
We got up Christmas morning and I walked them again around Ann's neighborhood. Christmas morning there were several concerned citizens. Most of them were concerned about the "pound of flesh" that they were sure the boys would remove from them, while the remaining few were concerned that I was in the wrong neighborhood. Perhaps the pregnant woman who was walking two big dogs in a neighborhood were no one just walks, unless you are homeless or would like to be hit on the highway, was concerning. The boys were in heaven though. The amount of trash on the streets and hidden behind the bushes was something I am sure they had dreamed about. The amount of brute force required to prevent the consumption of these items convinced me that there was need to go to dog parks or on walks in other areas for the majority of the outings. Although, Duke knew that there were rats around was excitedly searched for these vermin with shear excitement every time we excited the Coy household (Ann's last name for those who were not aware).
Well, if you wanted to know who made bank on Christmas...it was me. I don't think I have had such an amazing Christmas since I was a kid. Now mind you I did not really receive my items for me, but it was mostly baby stuff. A blanket, car sear cover, some clothes, and shoes. I suppose that the chapstick and shampoo were for me in my stocking, the chocolate too (but Duke ate that), but I don't really count those things. Everything that we did kind of blurred together, but I think that we took the dogs on a walk and had a nice leisurely day. We Facetime'd with many different family members and then I went to bed while the activities and game playing continued with Ann, Andrew, Will, and Sara via Facetime.
To be continued....
Note: Unfortunately, the picture taking was very minimal on my part throughout this trip. I believe that I was just so focused on the fun that documentation took a back seat, so you will just have to read the continuing saga another day and use you imagination about how amazing this all was.
The initial plan was that I was going to visit my sister, Ann, and then after Christmas I would head down to visit my brother, Brent. Ann has allergies to dogs and had found someone at her work that loved dogs and said he would be willing to watch the boys. It cost 60 dollars a night to board my dogs here in Minneapolis, so I was willing to drive with them and then spend much less money by having someone watch them there. Well, the time came to leave for Baltimore and the "dog lover" turned out to have rescued a dog and could not take the boys at the desired time. It was going to be several days later than he could take them. So, I called Brent and said, "How would you feel if I showed up at you house tomorrow?" He told me that he would talk with his wife, because we all know that the wife is in charge. Well, the phone call came that said please leave now, so I showered, threw such in a bag, turned down the thermostat, and headed out the door.
The drive to Kingsport, TN was actually quite pleasant. Duke, Harley, and I drove in intermittent stops to walk every two hours and did well until about 9 am. I had stopped the car and the boys attempted to make an exit, which I did not want them to make. I pushed them quickly back in the car, after setting my keys down, reflexively locked the doors, and looked at the keys inside the car on the drivers seat and laughed. I had to call for a locksmith, who promptly arrived in 30 minutes and broke into my car. I have to admit that I am a little afraid of how easy it was to unlock my car, but I was happy that $50 later I could be on my way. We then made it the rest of the way to the TN Passey household in plenty of time.
I was a little worried about how the kids would do with the dogs, but they did amazingly well. Duke and Harley were gentlemen, except at the dinner table. Scott had not quite figured out that if you wanted to prevent the dogs from getting the food you should keep it above the table. He kept attempting to hold it down between his legs on the seat, the perfect level for Harley to snatch it right up at stealth speed. The kids and I had a great night, where they "convinced" me about all of the things that really needed to happen prior to going to bed, like having hot chocolate, while their parents had their anniversary dinner. While I was there made candy trains (which mine included the most realistic train wreck ever), pictures to come. We also went Christmas shopping, attended church, read books, walked dogs, and showed off our ipad skills. I was not there long because I promised Ann I would be there Christmas Eve, but I sure had a good time with the Passey clan.
Christmas Eve afternoon we climbed into the car again for a 6ish hour drive to Baltimore. I think that I made it there my about 8pm. I parked and made an immediate tour of the block with the boys and introduced the terrified neighbors to the concept of two very large dogs. The bad news came on the way to Ann's that the "fake dog loving" sitter could not take the dogs still. So, we made a plan that they would stay in the car until it was time for bed and then they would go to the basement with me. This plan working well until there was a realization that the two boys could easily escape from the basement and refused to be down there without me. I cannot explain the attachment that Duke and Harley have for me. If they know that I am in the building they must me at my side and will take drastic measures to make it happen. We all did well in the basement as soon as I realized that I must stay down there.
We got up Christmas morning and I walked them again around Ann's neighborhood. Christmas morning there were several concerned citizens. Most of them were concerned about the "pound of flesh" that they were sure the boys would remove from them, while the remaining few were concerned that I was in the wrong neighborhood. Perhaps the pregnant woman who was walking two big dogs in a neighborhood were no one just walks, unless you are homeless or would like to be hit on the highway, was concerning. The boys were in heaven though. The amount of trash on the streets and hidden behind the bushes was something I am sure they had dreamed about. The amount of brute force required to prevent the consumption of these items convinced me that there was need to go to dog parks or on walks in other areas for the majority of the outings. Although, Duke knew that there were rats around was excitedly searched for these vermin with shear excitement every time we excited the Coy household (Ann's last name for those who were not aware).
Well, if you wanted to know who made bank on Christmas...it was me. I don't think I have had such an amazing Christmas since I was a kid. Now mind you I did not really receive my items for me, but it was mostly baby stuff. A blanket, car sear cover, some clothes, and shoes. I suppose that the chapstick and shampoo were for me in my stocking, the chocolate too (but Duke ate that), but I don't really count those things. Everything that we did kind of blurred together, but I think that we took the dogs on a walk and had a nice leisurely day. We Facetime'd with many different family members and then I went to bed while the activities and game playing continued with Ann, Andrew, Will, and Sara via Facetime.
To be continued....
Note: Unfortunately, the picture taking was very minimal on my part throughout this trip. I believe that I was just so focused on the fun that documentation took a back seat, so you will just have to read the continuing saga another day and use you imagination about how amazing this all was.
No comments:
Post a Comment