Monday, October 27, 2008

Hunger and Thirst


The big surgery day is tomorrow, at 1 pm. I can't eat after 11 pm tonight. The funny thing about being told that you can't eat is that all you want to do is eat then. Working in the E.R. I see this on a daily basis. Patients come in stating that they have not eaten in three days, then suddenly they want me to get them a meal. What is that about? It seems that no one can eat at home, but they are magic fumes in the E.R. that simulates that appetite. The first thing that everyone asks for is a drink. Then by 30 minutes of being in the E.R. (with 1 liter of fluid going into their arm through an I.V.), they are really angry that I won't give them a drink because they are dehydrated. Hhhmmm. Perhaps I am going to personally be experiencing the anger after 11 pm tonight and I will be more sympathetic, but it get really old when I am at work. For future reference of those individuals who go to the E.R., no food or drinks in case something is really wrong with you and you need to have a procedure or surgery.

Sorry about the soap box. I am feeling ravenous, I best go eat.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good Luck tomorrow I hope it goes well. Your blog made me really thirsty too!

Coopers said...

I don't think I have experienced this hunger from being in the ER...just the airport. It always hits me there. I will be completely fine, and then I sit down to wait for the plane, and my tummy rumbling. HA!

Good luck with everything!! Love you.