Sunday, September 11, 2011

24 Hours of Progress

 Yesterday, as previously stated was the big kitchen floor day.  This is what was under those lovely tiles.  Yuck!  It took me a while to get them all up. I have the blister to prove that I personally did the work.  By the time I was ready to sand it was the afternoon...getting ready took longer than expected.  Many of these photos were taken when it was dark outside so you are going to have to put up with some of the coloring.
 This corner of the room had been stripped by Caitlyn, so it wasn't as sticky as some areas of the floor.  Although, this was the improvement seen after just one pass.  I was so happy!  I was totally ready to float away with my rose colored glasses.  Oh whoops!  I have never been the rose colored glasses kinda girl. 
 Yesterday's second tool of the day.  The hairdryer was the tool of the morning, the sanders was the tool of the evening.  This thing is a powerhouse.  I totally love power tools.  They make me feel strong. Rrrroarrr!
 Then I began staining the floor.  I chose cherry.  The main floors color is kinda orange which is now my favorite.  Lee had sent me an awesome picture of a multi-color floor.  I really wanted it, but came to the realization that to buy all the colors and take the time to color the little strips different colors would take money and time.  Money and time were two things that I really can spare.  I wish.
 Here is a picture of where the stain meets the front rooms floor.  There was a nasty gold divider, which I removed last night.  The wire seen across the floor is a phone line that goes to upstairs.  I am going to get rid of it because the phones don't work upstairs.
 Here is the entire floor stained.  Yes, I know that the adhesive was not removed from behind the plumbing.  I decided that because it was going to be covered by cabinets I wasn't going to spend the time it would take to hand remove it and then sand it by hand.
Today the floor is covered in polyurethane.  I went for the satin finish.  I like the old, more worn look, so I didn't really want too glossy.  In the left-hand of the photo that is the flash, but you get the idea.  I think it turned out okay for my first wood floor finishing.  Can't wait to see what it will look like with the cabinets in place.  My only problem now is that the floor is not going to be dry enough for the men to work on the kitchen tomorrow.  Hhhhmmmm.  I have a fan facing the floor and am praying for a quick drying time.  I keep you updated.

4 comments:

Ann said...

It looks so great!

Carrie said...

You did an AWESOME job lady! Good work!

Will said...

I do enjoy power tools. One day I'll have some. And the time and money to do things with them.

Unknown said...

WOW! Your are A-Mazing.