Monday, May 28, 2007

Break from Work

There is both a fortunate side and an unfortunate side to a low patient census. Let's start out with the positive thought. My overtime shifts I signed up for were cancelled, so I spent more time at my cousin, Megan's house. This time I was helping her paint the soon to be girl's room. We painted a sunset on the walls and some dark purplish mountains across the bottom of the room. It was a big project but she wanted to get the girls moved into that room before her big family reunion when all of her siblings were going to be coming from out-of-state and several would be staying at her home. So, I assisted in getting partway there.
During one day when she had some other things she had to do I went out an completed one of the two hikes on my list. I went and hiked in the Superstition Mountains on a trail called Black Mesa Trail. It was very scenic and took approximately four hours. I have typically hiked in the early morning or the late afternoon, but this hike happened to be in mid-day. I happened to pay the consequences with a beautiful sunburn. I am currently moulting a few layers. I hiked the south side of this mountain range with Ann and if you look at her blog you can see a picture of this rock called Wheeler's Needle. I happened to hike the north side and never got quite as close this time, but it was still beautiful anyway.

These are just scenic view of some cacti part way through my adventure.



The bad part of the patient census being low is that I had a regular shift cancelled last night and in two weeks I am going to feel the pain of the cancelled shifts when the check comes in. I only have one more hike left to complete in the big list of hikes. I am very excited about it although I am trying to figure out what shoes I am going to wear because this last hike I used my hiking boots because my other shoes I was using have lost too much traction and I have some beautiful blisters. Aaahhhh, such is life!

No comments: