Friday, November 26, 2010

Nepal Day 12

On the 11th day, we woke up and were escorted by the father of our family back to the area where we had watched the program the previous night. Natalie and I arrived about 20 minutes later than we were supposed to be there. Now we may think that Mormon Standard Time is late, well Nepali Time has knocked our beliefs of lateness was toppled. It was at least another 20 minutes before the second group of SHe expeditioners arrived. It was another 20 minutes until breakfast was started. During this time I got this beautiful photo of the view from the site.
These two little girls were bringing mats up to the area, for the breakfast. The girl on the right was the youngest girl in the Dura family, whom we stayed with overnight.
While waiting for breakfast, the expeditioners were entertaining everyone. I did not get ant picture of the entertainment, but it was amazing. There was one group of people creating a human pyramid, human helicopters, and other assorted tricks. I am sure that the villagers of Thuloswara thought we were acrobats.


After breakfast there was a presentation for the villagers from Choice Humanitarian describing how the trekking money from villager would be broken up. Then the dancers from the last dance we watched from the night before performed again. So that we would be able to leave more quickly, we had been instructed to get up with them and dance fairly quickly. Here are some amazing pictures of the dancing moves my fellow expeditioner displayed.



The villagers really seemed to have a good time with us.
Next, we had to hike up and out of the village. Once again it was a beautiful hike out of Thuloswara. This is a spring that we saw as we were initially hiking away from the village.
This is man who was just out for a walk with his goats. I love him with his umbrella.
As we were hiking to the next village that we visiting, someone got the bright idea to take a shortcut. Well, the shortcut was essentially hiking completely uphill to this home. I am not sure how much of a shortcut it was. I was a little slower than many of the others. There was a group of people who were waiting at the bottom of the hill for some of the expeditioners that were thought to be lagging. I decided to continue hiking upward. At one point I thought that I was lost, I stood still wondering if I should hike back down the very steep steps, or continue onward. About 5 minutes later I heard someone say that they saw me. I cannot tell you the relief I had when I heard him. This was the scene at the top of the hill. Once I got the home I found everyone relaxing and jumping off the wall surrounding the home. It was not long before the group headed off again.
There was a shrine along the way down the hill to the next village. There are bells everywhere in Nepal. I really think it bells would be an awesome addition to the U.S.
When we arrived to the village of Turlong, we could see the school that we were going to help paint. The blue roof building is the school in the village. I don't know if you can see, but the blue tarped area is where chairs were set up for us to sit. There are little ropes strung between the school and the tarp. The village had prepared for hours and hours for us to come. The ropes were jute wound around each other holding marigolds in between them. Amazing!
These are some of the homes in the village.


Construction had begun on the school about 1 year ago. We had to prep the school for painting. We began by sanding down all of the wood and the cement/rocks, for the coat of primer. Natalie worked hard on this project....obviously I was taking pictures. There was a limited amount of room, so I participated in painting primer on the wood. Other people white washed the interior walls. Below are some photos of SHe working hard.



Turlong villagers had also prepared a program for us to watch. So, of course it was a great time to take pictures of the villagers.



More dancing. These performances were less professionally done, but the were still fun to watch. These were performed by more of the younger girls. Gotta love the application of makeup as well.

It was only another 30 minute walk in the dark to get back to Duradanda. The best part it was all downhill. It was really nice to get back to the school house and sleep of the mats. I was exhausted.

No comments: