Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Nepal Day 2

Day 2 in Nepal was new and exciting, yet not exactly picture worthy...or those pictures that were worthy were outside the other bus window. Natalie and I woke up early and walked to a local tourist bus station. We we accosted by the local taxi drivers who felt we had an inability to walk there with our packs on our back, but made it to the bus station with plenty of time to spare. Natalie immediately haggled an amazing bus fare price, of approximately $4.00 for our 6-8 hour ride to Chitwan National Park.

Natalie and I got the back of the bus. The entire back of the bus for the entire ride. We were completely unaware of how lucky we were during that period of time. There were some amazing scenes while driving down out of the Himalayas, but they all seemed to be on the other side of the bus. The majority of photos seen on the way out of Kathmandu.

Driving down the road I really enjoyed the Latin influence seen in the buses and semi trucks. Tassles are in....they are scene everywhere in vehicles in throughout the country.
I was taken with the rice paddies seen throughout the territory. They were breathtakingly beautiful. Although I have to admit that I was very appreciative to get off the bus. One very large headache later. I am much taller than the majority of locals and visitors. This fact lead to many insults to the head by overhead bins and bars. Painful!

Natalie and I walked from the bus stop into the small village. We had were able to find the most amazing and clean hotel called the Holy Lodge. The beds were clean and white, equipped with mosquito netting. We were able to wander around the village and collect some prices for adventures in the area. In town we found an amazing restaurant where we were the only clientele. A group of men were playing cards and offered us our very first "Momo" of the vacation. We were overcome by their amazing taste and spent the rest of the trip trying to find this delectable party in our mouths.

After paying for the next days adventures I was overcome by exhaustion. Poor Natalie was left awake to attempt to stay awake. Starting on this day I began my habit of falling asleep between 5-7pm and waking up at 2am. It was very effective for completing homework, but not really great for getting in three meals a day. It assisted Nat and I to change our dietary needs to 1-2 meals a day based upon sustenance demands. Just in case anyone was wondering, cookies make an excellent breakfast in Nepal. Onr meal of cookies and one meal of dahl, rice, saag, and other vegetarian curry delights are all you need to fulfill you daily requirements.

No comments: