Early on the 5th day in Nepal, Natalie and I woke up. There is an extremely irritating habit that all people in Nepal participate in....can you guess what it is? I am certain that no one will get this one. All people in Nepal have the art of "hacking and spitting" down to a science. Now one might wonder, "How does this apply to a vacation?" Well, let me tell you about it. As I sat in the room working on my homework around 4 a.m. I started to hear the hacking noise. Natalie is a light sleeper, so she would also wake up while I was working. Together we began to enjoy a once in a life time experience. The sound of 50 men hacking a spitting simultaneously in the showers and bathrooms in the surrounding rooms. The walls were much thinner than we would have preferred. I showered and came out of the bathroom with Natalie attempting to catch the moment on video, but unfortunately she was unsuccessful. Nat thought there were less people, but I won the bet as well went outside at 515 am, to see the sun rise at our next location.We went out and about particularly early because we had heard that watching the sun rise over the Annapurnas in a local town at the top of the hill was amazing. So we promptly caught a taxi up...up...up the hill. There were a lot of tourist standing at the top of a small hill within the town of Sarangkot. "They" (whoever they are) did not lie. The view from the top was amazing. The picture above was taken before the sun came over up. I really thought that the little hut was a great addition. Although, truth be told that I love the small quirky things when I am taking photos.
Right next to the small hill were individuals who were selling their goods. Traveling through Nepal it is easy to understand what brought all the hippies to the area during the 70's. As I was reading this post I thought, "Is this a Christmas promotion in the non-Christian country...or a plug to bring the 70's back?" Then I decided that maybe it would just be a good thing to have the world at peace. Additionally, it might make a great Christmas card.
Above is a photo of some of the good you can buy in Nepal.
The pastry was not enough so I had a local meal...the Marsala Omelet. The omelet was would have been much better if there had been addition of salt to the mix, but non the less amazing. I also had some curry potatoes. I am not sure if the Nepalese potatoes are different than ours, but I can say that they created a new close relationship between us. Me+Potatoes=Pure Love.
Then Natalie and I went went for a hike. I think the combination of my recently more sedentary life and the elevation definitely played a part on my ability to hike well, but Natalie was very patient with me. The hike started on talking us around the big hill that we were eventually going to go to the top of for the next two hours.
This is a photo of me while I was still thinking that this was going to be amazing. Don't you worry though, it was not only amazing, but memorable. The hike upward was a delightful challenge as we lost the trail. The good thing about a hike that goes through terraced areas and has a destination at the top of the hill is that it is easy to reach your goal when you are wandering.
We had to take off our shoes and then we were able to walk up the steps of the pagoda. At the top of the stairs we were met with this beautiful Buddha.
This is another of the statue at the World Peace Pagoda, but I am not sure who this represents.When reaching the shore we were met by an cute Tibetan woman who was selling jewelry. I have a special place in my heart for all of the older people who are selling items. When it came to buying souvenirs if they were seniors they were more likely to get my rupees. Natalie and I became the proud owners of some amazing yellow amber bracelets.
These are some of the horns used throughout the prayers.
As part of worship individuals walk clockwise around the buildings and turn these.
It was a great day!
2 comments:
It's been so fun to read about your adventure!
You're right. Thin walls+hacking=no good. I'm right there with you.
Such BEAUTIFUL pictures!
wow. that was a packed day! looks like you got to see a lot of pretty things and also do some cool things.
Post a Comment