Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Nepal Day 10

On this particular morning I woke up and heard sounds of people having way too much fun off in the distance. I slept in a little longer that I expected and when I was walking to my project I figured out what all of the noise was about. In the village was a Ferris wheel, set up for the Dewali festival that was currently happening. I was told that the wheel stays in place all year, but that the seats are taken off. You can see the boy up on the side of the wheel who uses his legs to make it go around. It was not only a big hit with all of the local, but the SHe expeditioners had a blast as well. I missed the early morning rounds, but people were on this wheel throughout the trip.
There were water buffalo roaming around everywhere we went. Yes, this photo was originally supposed to be of the woman, but my camera seemed to lie the other buffalo better. While up in the villages we had buffalo milk every morning for breakfast. We even got some type of hot chocolate powder to put in it. It was amazing! I could live off buffalo milk and I am not usually a milk fan.
After finishing the mornings festivities, we all went back to our activities of the previous day. By the end of the day I was exhausted. Working with the interpreters with every patient was difficult. The interpreters sometimes had a hard time figuring out what I was asking because they were not really professionals, but local individuals who spoke English and Nepali. I worked through lunch and was glassy eyed by 4 pm when I finished.

In the evening the local individuals liked to come to the school house and play music and dance. They found out that the Americans loved to dance after the first nights greeting.
The locals who were dancing were pulling us up to come and dance with them. This is Natalie showing us here amazing skills. I am below showing of my abilities as well. I hate to admit this but I was a favorite among the locals. They had never really seen a woman so tall, and with hips as wide as mine. They were all really excited when it was my opportunity to dance. A little embarrassing, but I was determined to participate in all the experiences.

No comments: