Monday, October 3, 2011

I Got a New Railing

 This is the old amazing railing that was in my house when I moved in.  It is difficult to see the beauty of the slathered porcelain/weird paint.  It drove my friend Natalie nuts, so she removed the top of the railing with a hammer. 
I will admit that part of me was happy it was gone, but the other part of my was scared to death.  See the board on the end of the railing, well, it is actually dry wall.  Every time I would walk up there with the lights out I would worry about either going through the drywall or impaling myself on what was left of the railing.  After months of concern I got my dad to help me tackle this project.
 My stairwell was a bit of a hazard for a couple of days.  My dad did some demolition and then we went about measuring, measuring, and measuring.  Then to HD to get the supplies.  I started to take pictures a little late, but I think that you get the idea.
 These are my beautiful newel posts.  My dad cut them the right length and then be drilled and screwed large screws into the bottom of the posts to our hearts content.  My dads hands became pretty cramped...I mainly held things.  Occasionally I got the drill.
 These boards were my drilling success.  I was to excited to drill all the holes down the center of the boards.  I think that they turned out rather well indeed.
 Here is what it currently looks like.  Eventually I am going to paint it white with the rest of the trim upstairs, but for now I am just happy not to impale myself on it.
 It is difficult to see here the wood covering up the metal brackets holding the pole in.  We did some creative covering.  I think that it turned out rather well though.
 It is a beauty!

5 comments:

Ann said...

WOWZA! Good work, sister!

Natalie said...

Yay for the new railing. Those who did not witness the horrible state of the railing before it was removed will never understand how bad it was. And, yay on the weight loss! Keep going!

Coopers said...

Wow! That really looks so much better. And I didn't really get to experience the first one!

Unknown said...

That is beautiful! (and safe)

Carrie said...

YEA!!!